Friday 9 August 2013

Mamie's Letter - Page 2


Like Whiteman’s Creek, only the creek is practically a river.
I’d like you to see some of the big black bass I caught up here.
The threshers were up at the neighbour’s farm to-day and I had to pitch hay and managed to get my eyes full so I don’t think I’d make a very good farmer.
So Charlie said he was going to fix up a bogus letter and send it to you and sign my name so as to get you mad at me so if you get an extra letter you’ll know that one is a fake.
I suppose you go over on the commons every night with Ron Fraser or Barney.
Are you still mad at Joe or is it he that is mad at you
Say, the next time I ask you to go to the show with me I expect you to go and not say you can’t.

Last week we posted the first page of a charming letter written to a young Miss Mamie Woodard from a lad named Joe Ion. This is the second page of the letter, which details Joe's futile attempts at farming, his concern with what Mamie thinks of him, and possibly a bit of jealousy at Mamie's being able to go to the commons with other little friends. 

What do you think of this line: "Say, the next time I ask you to go to the show with me, I expect you to go and not say you can't". Way to be bossy, Joe!

Watch out for pages 3 and 4 next week, which will be posted on Monday and Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment